Each year, 3 million seniors are treated in emergency departments for injuries sustained from a fall. In fact, more than one out of four older people fall each year.
This quiz was designed and developed by Safe Home Modifications, Inc. to give homeowners and their family members a glimpse into how much of a fall risk is present in their home.
· Answer the following questions with either a YES or NO.
· For every YES answer, score yourself one (1) point.
· Total up your points below to see how safe you are from falls in your home.
1. Do you have two handrails on every interior and exterior staircase?
2. Is the path from your bed to bathroom well-lit at nighttime?
3. Do you have 2 or 3 grab bars in your bathtub/shower?
4. Are your throw rugs fastened to the underlying floor?
5. Do you keep all of your daily items in reach without using a stepstool/chair?
4-5 points: You are VERY SAFE in your home! This doesn’t mean you’ll never fall, but you are doing a great job reducing the risk!
2-3 points: You are at a MODERATE fall risk in your home. Stay active with exercises to challenge your balance to avoid a fall at home.
0-1 point: You are at a HIGH FALL RISK. In addition to balance exercises, consider speaking to a home modification specialist about how to minimize your risk of falls.